- - Report of last meeting - Go to the Helderberg Hilltowns Association page for a full report of September 13, 2010 meeting plus updates since then.
- - Next meeting - 10/25/10, Buddhist Center, Game Farm Rd., Berne;
- 6:00 harvest meal. Bring products from your garden to share; will need RSVP when invitation comes out;
- meeting 7:00
As an organization we're becoming busier and more visible, and it's going to get even better.
- Long Path North - A short note from Gerry Chartier gives an update on the idea to connect the Long Path North to future trails on the Buddhist Retreat Center (Tenzin Gyatso Institute) on Game Farm Road. Jonathan & Ryan of the Center, Jon Kusler of the Berne Conservation Board, Mike Willsey of the LPN, and Gerry Chartier walked the DEC forest trails beginning from the shale bank parking area on Irish Hill Road. We "rediscovered" the old roads linking Irish Hill Road to Game Farm Road. There was agreement that the link will be easy to accomplish with a minimal amount of work. This area is extremely scenic, with relatively open mature forest cover with a wetland/stream network, and offers walking and Nordic skiing opportunities. Should we be exploring further either forming a work crew to get going on this or coordinating some other groups to take it on?
- Genealogy Workshop - On September 25th, John Elberfeld and Jane McLean welcomed about 25 folks to the Octagon Barn (courtesy of Amy and Russ Pokorny) for a morning of feasting on goodies made from local products by Jane and learning about the resources available in this area to search about folks who live, or used to live, on the Hill. Representatives from several of the local resources were present for John's excellent presentation and left clutching copies of his handout. I found it interesting that the representatives from the various organizations seemed unaware of what their neighbors were doing, and what they had available to share. It seemed to me that HHA might well serve as a catalyst for getting these groups together to exchange ideas and information about their resources and collections. The Altamont Enterprise gave us a nice half-page on the meeting in its 10/1 edition, and since that was published, I've gotten a couple of calls from folks off the Hill with information and items to share about the Hilltowns.
- This Saturday 10/9 there are two festivals celebrating the Hilltowns:
- - The Helderberg Hilltowns Fall Festival - at the Knox Town Park in conjunction with the Knox CAC; contact: Cheryl Frantzen.
- - The Preston Hollow Harvest Festival - at the Bayard Elsbree Town Park on Rt. 145 in Preston Hollow; this one extends to Sunday 10/10; contact: Dennis Pillts. Both are featuring local crafts and produce, with food and games for the whole family. Please turn out if you can to support these, and pass the word where you work or shop.
- Annual Roast Beef Dinner - Berne Volunteer Fire Company will have their annual Roast Beef Dinner serving at noon at the fire house. Cost is $10 at the door and $11 for for take out (prices may change closer to the day of the event. The menu will include: roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, cabbage salad, homemade pickles, vegetables, homemade applesauce, rolls, coffee, tea, milk and homemade pies!
- Dawn Jordan has written a letter to them asking permission to set up a table to run John's "Researching Your Hilltown Ancestors" power point presentation and hand out literature about HHA. Please contact Dawn if you can help at Dawn Jordan.
- Next Meeting - October meeting on 10/25, we've been invited by Chris Pollei to get acquainted with the Tenzin Gyatso Institute in Berne. The meeting is at 7 PM for the public BUT HHA members are hereby invited to dinner at 6 PM. PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN RSVP EVENT: if you're coming for dinner, please notify them by 10/20 how many will be in your party, so they can prepare. Thank to Chris for her hospitality.
INVITE TO NEXT MEETING OF THE HHA
You and your families are invited to join us for a potluck dinner & harvest bounty share at the Tenzin Gyatso Institute on Monday, October 25th at 6pm. The Helderberg Hilltowns Association meeting will follow at 7pm.
We'll provide a delicious main course followed by dessert. And as promised at our last HHA meeting... beer and wine (as well as some non-alcoholic refreshments). If you can, please bring along any of your harvest bounty: fruits, veggies, eggs, meat, honey and any other products that may be overflowing from your farm or garden so we can all get to know what you grow.
We are located at 165 Game Farm Road (off of Switzkill Road), follow the signs to the lodge. There is parking around back. Go to the website: for a map and directions
Please RSVP so we can make sure we are prepared. You can either email Jessica Duval or call telephone 872-1250.
Looking forward to seeing you all here!
Best, Christine & Jessica
- - Helderberg Hilltowns Fall Festival - The Knox Conservation Advisory Council is planning its first annual Helderberg Hilltowns Fall Festival for October 9th from 10 am -3pm. There will be live music, activities for children, farm vendors, crafts, and more. They are seeking farm, craft, and other vendors from Berne, Knox, Westerlo, and Rensselaerville. Those interested in participating should contact Cheryl Frantzen, Chairperson, at 872-1199, 573-5949, or Cheryl Frantzen
- - Preston Hollow Harvest Festival - We already have many local crafts people - Dried Flower Arrangements; Stained Glass, Pottery, Jewelery, Wine Tasting, Antiques, Collectibles. The cost per vendor (10x10 booth) is $25.00 one day; $40.00 for 2 days! that a great bargan, and at the very least a nice donation to cause and a lot of fun to meet local people and say Hay!
- - Thacher Park Fall Festival - Thacher Park is seeking vendors for the Annual Thacher Park Fall Festival. The event will be held Oct. 16 with a rain date of Oct. 17, from 10am - 4pm. The vendor fee for the event is #25. Only quality handcrafted items will be considered. The Park is also looking for volunteers for the Fall Festival to run games, face-painting, scarecrow building, and other events. Call the park office at 872-1237 orJoy Scism if interested in being a vendor or volunteer.
- - Eighth Annual Hilltown Holiday Gift Bazaar- There are spaces for 20 vendors at the Eighth Annual Hilltown Holiday Gift Bazaar which will be held on Saturday, Nov. 27 at Historic Conkling Hall from 10am - 3pm.Spaces will be available on a first come, first served basis. Vendors must be creators of the products they sell. Contact Cheryl 797-5201.